The small, round and brightly polished pieces of the minerals and rocks are called the tumbled stones. They are produced by placing the rough rocks in a machine which is called a rock tumbler. The machine tumbles the rocks till the pieces are polished smoothly. They are also called baroque gems, polished gems, polished rocks, tumbled gems, etc. The stones are popular among the people because of their pleasing shape and bright polish. They are used in a lot of things like craft, jewelry, awards, souvenir, collectibles, etc.
Things Used To Make a Tumbled Stone
The colorful stones and materials are taken to make the tumbled stones. They generally have hardness 5 and 8. Some of the commonly found materials are as follows:
- Smoky quartz
- Tiger’s eye
Making Process of Tumbled Stones
The stones are tumbled in a tumbling machine. They are put along with abrasive grit and water. As the rocks tumble the abrasive grit grains gets caught between the sharp points abrade and the rocks. This thus, makes the shape of the rocks rounded. In the consecutive shapes, the silicon carbide granules smoothens the rock surface. In the final step, a polish is used. This makes the tumbled stones lustrous and bright. This whole process takes a few weeks.
Uses of the Stones
The tumbled stones have varied uses. Several thousand tons of the stones are produced every year by the commercial units. They are sold to the individuals or to the wholesalers by pounds. They are also used for the production of jewelry. The price of the stones differs with the materials they are made up of, the size of the stones, etc. Some of the ways by which the stones are used are as follows:
- Crafts- They are used for several numbers of craft projects.
- Jewelry- You can find them glued with some types of jewelry. They are wearable in the form of pendants, earrings, charms, cufflinks, etc.
- Rock Collections- For those who enjoy collecting rocks, this can be a great hobby.
- Gifts- If the tumbled stones you choose are greatly polished, they will make great gifts.
- Vase Filler- You can color coordinate the stones with a floral arrangement to the vase you keep them. The arrangement looks beautiful and adds weight to the vase. So, it will not fall down easily.
- Home Décor- You can use them for decorating any pictures, centerpieces, candles holders, etc.
- Healing- They are also used for mindfulness practices, meditation and spiritual healing.